A Look Back: South Bend’s Bendix Corp. and its role in the Apollo moon landing | History

Landing dynamics engineers at Bendix test a model of the Lunar Module’s landing gear at Bendix Aerospace Division in South Bend. This photo was donated to The History Museum by Anne Black and the daughters of Raymond J. Black. Landing dynamics engineers at Bendix test a model of the Lunar Module’s landing gear at Bendix Aerospace Division in South Bend. This photo was donated to The History Museum by Anne Black and the daughters of Raymond J. Black. July 20th marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing, but many people do not realize how big a part South Bend’s Bendix Corp. played in that mission. The project required innovation, engineering, and an enormous amount of manpower. The craft sent to the moon featured the largest rocket ever built, with the most complicated equipment ever designed, and cost billions of dollars to develop and build. The contract for the Lunar Module (LM) was awarded to Grumman Aircraft in 1963, which delegated the $350 million project to several subcontractors, including South Bend’s Bendix Corp. Bendix engineers designed and tested critical components for structural stability and shock absorption. Simplicity and weight reduction were key; ...

50 displaced after two-alarm fire in West Omaha apartment building

The fire department said “improperly discarded smoking materials” caused more than a million dollars in damage at Kensington Woods Apartments near 108th and Blondo. The fire department said “improperly discarded smoking materials” caused more than a million dollars in damage at Kensington Woods Apartments near 108th and Blondo. The fire department said “improperly discarded smoking materials” caused more than a million dollars in damage at Kensington Woods Apartments near 108th and Blondo. The fire department said “improperly discarded smoking materials” caused more than a million dollars in damage at Kensington Woods Apartments near 108th and Hamilton Plaza, which is north of Blondo Street. Hansen, who has lived with his family in the apartment for two years, shared with KETV NewsWatch 7 surveillance video outside his apartment unit that showed families reacting as fire alarms went off. “Everyday I’m in a hotel, it’s costing me money,” said Hansen. “And I’m literally being told I have to find another place to live.” KETV NewsWatch 7 tried to ask apartment management about claims that sprinklers did not go off, but staff refused t...